Cover Text
PDF PDF format [2.3MB]  


David Barber joins Murray & Roberts

Murray & Roberts appointed David Barber (55) as an independent nonexecutive director and member of its audit committee on 27 June 2008. David is global chief financial officer of AngloCoal, a division of Anglo American plc Group and prior to this was chief financial officer for Anglo American Corporation of South Africa. He served as a non-executive director and member of the audit committee for several companies, including Anglo Platinum, Highveld Steel and BJM Holdings. David Barber

Corporate and operational management appointments

Andrew Skudder has been appointed as director of enterprise capability in the office of the group chief executive. In this role, Andrew will ensure that processes, systems and people are in place across Murray & Roberts to meet the capacity requirements for delivery of the business plan and South Africa’s pending nuclear power program.
Ian Henstock joins the Group as commercial director with immediate effect. Ian has a long business association with Murray & Roberts from his previous executive positions at Deloitte, Bridge Capital and ABSA. He will play a lead role engaging the many corporate initiatives underway.
Werner Kruger was appointed managing director of Ocon Brick on 1 April. Werner joined Murray & Roberts in 2004 following a career in the cement industry and worked as operations director at Rocla. The Pienaar family, from whom Murray & Roberts acquired 80% of Ocon Brick has exercised its option to sell its remaining 20% shareholding in the company.
Dirk Steinberg will transfer from his current position as financial director of UCW to Corporate and will be appointed to the operating boards of Genrec and Hall Longmore. He will also work with Andrew Langham to oversee the development of capacity to meet the Group’s major project commitments to Medupi and Kusile thermal power stations and the National Multi Product Pipeline. Dirk will continue in his role on the executive committee of The UCW Partnership.
Kevin Kelly transfers from Murray & Roberts Engineering Solutions and his recent role as commissioning manager for the NPC Project, to UCW where he is appointed project director for the Transnet Locomotive Program. These succession appointments bring new executive capacity to bear on our major projects and initiatives, and are testament to the depth of talent within and available to Murray & Roberts.

Executive resignations and appointments

Edwin Hewitt, executive director responsible for fabrication and manufacture, resigned on 30 June.
Lee Cochrane, MD of Rocla, and Dave Athey, MD of Murray & Roberts Engineering Solutions, resigned on 31 April.
Gordon Taylor transferred from Murray & Roberts Construction to take up the appointment as managing director of Murray & Roberts Engineering Solutions. He leaves Construction with a solid and longterm order book.
Malose Chaba will ensure the integration of capacity from Murray & Roberts Engineering Solutions and MEI to deliver the Group’s significant responsibilities in the power program. Malose has also assumed executive leadership of the nuclear power engagement strategy.
Keith Smith has assumed the role of executive chairman of Murray & Roberts Construction with day-to-day responsibility for its final restructuring and future performance. Keith retains his chairmanship of Concor and will work to achieve better structuring of the Western Cape and SADC operations as separate business units with Piet Martins as operations director.
Andrew Langham has been appointed chairman of Genrec, Hall Longmore and Technicrete.
John Hoare has rejoined Murray & Roberts as chairman of UCW and was interim executive at Rocla pending the finalisation of a replacement MD.


Sonwabo Eddie Funde resigned as non-executive director on 30 June 2008 due to his appointment as South African Ambassador to Germany. Mr Funde also resigned as a member of the nomination and health, safety and environment committees.

Non-executive director, Martin Shaw, will reach the mandatory retirement age for directors and will retire at the October 2008 AGM after which David Barber will assume chairmanship of the audit committee.

Non-executive director, Boetie van Zyl, will also retire at the same AGM shortly before he reaches the mandatory retirement age for directors.