- be based on the Group’s stakeholder engagement philosophy;
- clearly define the scope of engagement;
- focus on issues material to the organisation and/or its stakeholders;
- create opportunities for dialogue;
- be transparent;
- be timely; and
- be flexible and responsive.
The Murray & Roberts Group stakeholder engagement policy rests the responsibility for implementing the policy with the Group business platform executives, managing directors and the Group communications function. The policy states that the Group will:
- Comply with laws, and the principles and best practice recommendations set out in the King III pertaining to stakeholder relationships;
- Establish clear accountability for effective stakeholder engagement;
- Consider the views and concerns of stakeholders in the Group’s strategic and operational decision-making;
- Integrate stakeholder engagement into the ongoing management activities of the Group and its companies;
- Strive to measure and manage the gap between stakeholder perceptions and the performance of the Group and its companies;
- Ensure that stakeholders are treated fairly and equitably in line with the Group’s values;
- Create a transparent and honest environment for stakeholders to interact with the Group;
- Provide complete, timely, relevant, accurate, honest and accessible information to its stakeholders while having regard to legal and strategic considerations;
- Proactively communicate with stakeholders and seek their views and feedback using various appropriate communication channels/mediums;
- Promote awareness in Group companies of the importance, value and methodologies for stakeholder consultation and relationship management; and
- Seek ways to better manage and improve stakeholder engagement procedures and performance.
Our engagement processes seek to ensure that interaction with stakeholders in all our markets is effective and ongoing. Various methods are used across the Group to engage with stakeholders. These methods, among others, are grouped into the following categories:
- Face-to-face engagement (one-on-one meetings, citizen panels/public meetings, including “town hall” meetings);
- Technological engagement (website, intranet, email, SMS); and
- Printed engagement (media releases, newsletters, internal magazines, integrated report).
As an example of recognition of our stakeholder engagement with our shareholders and investment community, the Group is proud to have won two awards for its 2013 integrated report (EY Excellence in Integrated Reporting and A-Rating by Nkonki Auditors), as well as an award from the Investment Analyst Society for the best investor relations reporting in the Industrials Sector for the 2014 calendar year.